If you have a clinical psychology master’s degree, you’ve likely spent countless hours studying human behavior, mental health disorders, and counseling techniques. But what exactly can you do with this degree? Here are some options to consider:

Private Practice

One of the most popular career paths for those with a clinical psychology master’s degree is opening a private practice. This allows you to work directly with clients, providing therapy and counseling services to individuals or groups.

As a private practitioner, you’ll have the freedom to set your own hours and rates. However, keep in mind that starting your own practice requires significant financial investment and business skills.

Clinical Director

Another option is working as a clinical director at a mental health facility or organization. As a clinical director, you’ll be responsible for overseeing other therapists and counselors while also providing direct care to clients. This role requires strong leadership skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.


If you’re more interested in conducting research than providing therapy, pursuing a career as a researcher may be an option for you. With your clinical psychology master’s degree, you’ll have the necessary knowledge to design and conduct studies related to mental health disorders and treatments. You could work in academia or for government agencies researching topics such as depression, anxiety disorders, or addiction.

College Professor

If teaching is your passion, consider becoming a college professor. With your clinical psychology master’s degree, you can teach courses in psychology or related fields at the undergraduate or graduate level. You could also conduct research while teaching.

Non-Profit Work

Working for non-profit organizations that focus on mental health advocacy is another option for those with a clinical psychology master’s degree. Non-profits often provide counseling services to underserved populations or advocate for policy changes related to mental health care. You could work as a therapist, program director, or advocate.